Wednesday, August 31, 2011

And So It Begins

I did not wake up yesterday intending to start anything new in my life.  And I'm not sure what triggered my realization that thinking about/wishing for/planning for weight loss doesn't actually make you lose the weight.  It also doesn't get you fit.  I've done a lot of dreaming and visualization when it comes getting a healthier and trimmer body.  The problem is that I'm always looking toward doing something about it but not actually doing something about it.  I've made attempts in the past, but usually they go hand-in-hand with disclaimers and conditional statements about how it is ok if I don't follow an exercise plan to the letter or if I take a cheat day on a diet multiple times a week. 
It suddenly became so clear, so obvious.  If I want to lose weight and get fit, I need to actually do the exercise along with my following a nutrition plan closely.  I said before that "someday" I want to be able to run 3 miles a few times a week and I'm "thinking" of starting a program to get me there.  Seriously?  What is that?  I've had this running goal for years.  Many, many years.  I usually get ahead of myself when I start a program to work my way up to running that much but I alter it and end up getting burned out.  No more. 
Yesterday was Day 1 of Week 1 of Couch 2 5K.  It was late, I was tired, and I starting getting scared that I wouldn't be able to do it.  But, I got on the treadmill and started going.  A few minutes in and I was smiling.  I was still smiling when I was done even while my feet were aching because they hadn't been put through a work out like that in a very long time.  It felt amazing.  I wanted to write you about it last night so I could fully capture my bliss but it was late.  Really late. 
I hadn't been able to figure out why this time is different until right now.  I am confident that in approximately 9 weeks, I will be running 3 miles 3 times a week and that makes all the difference in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment