Saturday, August 27, 2011

Losing It

Today, let’s talk about endeavor number 3, how to lose weight and get fit.  At my work, a 12 week weight loss program is offered for $100.  You get your money back if you meet your weight loss goal and they cap your weight loss at 12 pounds.  Wednesday started week 3 and I’ve lost 2 pounds.  I’m on track for the 12 pound weight loss but I’d like to lose 20 pounds instead and I’m not on track for that. 
So far, the program is pretty neat and consists of 1 hour long classes each week.  After reviewing a survey I filled out before the first week, they provided me with a nutrition plan.  I get a set number of starches, proteins, fruits, vegetables (although they encourage us to eat as many as we want), fats, and milk.  They also list a minimum amount of water I need to drink every day.  This all was delivered to me in the form of a booklet that I fill out each day and boxes to check off for each type of food I’ve consumed.  For example, there are 6 starch blocks and once I’ve checked them all off, I’m supposed to be done with starches for the day.  And, surprisingly, half a cup of pasta is one full starch.  Needless to say, I’m struggling a bit with limiting myself in that catergory.  The booklet also has room to fill in exercise each day.  At the end of the week, I turn my book in and I get it back the following week with comments from the instructors.
This past week, they did a fitness assessment during the class.  I was classified as “good” in sit-and-reach and grip strength, but my waist is too large.  Shocker.  This assessment will be used to build an exercise plan for each of us in the program that we'll get next week.  I’m looking forward to seeing what they come up with. 
At the moment, my exercise plan consists of walking every other day and both weekend days for a minimum of 15 minutes.  I’m aiming to turn this walking into running eventually.  I really want to get where I can run a few miles (3?) several times a week.  Once I get regular exercise times built into my week, I'm thinking of using the Couch to 5K schedule to get myself from walking to running.
My intention is to share my progress with you throughout this weight loss/fitness journey.  More to come on how hard/easy it has been to follow this nutrition plan.  For now, I just wish that peanut butter m&ms were low calorie and fat free!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Meg,
    I just wanted to let you know why I deleted your link from the "I'm Blessed" party. The links were supposed to be to "I'm Blessed" posts on your own site, which this is not.

    BUT
    I absolutely loved your comment and the things you had to say. It was a real treat for me to read that. I just wanted to explain so there were no hard feelings.

    ReplyDelete